Friday, October 17, 2008

French

I took my language exam today... it was painful. It's been about 3 years since I took French so I'm a little (ok a lot) rusty. 

For the exam I had to translate about a page and a half of French. I wonder how they pick the text they have us translate- mine was very odd. Here's one sentence, "It was held by an Egyptian man who did not appear to be very radioactive." I changed it a little when I typed it up so that it sounded better in English but that was my basic translation. Which made me a little nervous about how accurate my translation was- seriously an Egyptian man does not appear very radioactive? What is that about? (I'm pretty sure I'm right about the radioactive part- I mean what else could radioactif mean?) grr argh!       

It's very likely that I will be taking the exam again next semester- but hopefully I will only have to take it twice. (I've heard everyone fails the first time- and my French is obviously weak). On the bright side I heard they may offer some kind of refresher course next semester and preparing for the exam has made me realize I kinda miss taking French (I was shocked too). And I'm thinking maybe I should possibly think about perhaps doing a transnational chapter (or more) as part of my dissertation- so French might actually be useful (shocking I know) I've just started thinking about this so who knows where it will lead. So there might be more French on my future (who'd a thunk it?)
    

No comments: