Thursday, September 4, 2008

Weather

I've been notified by several sources that there is a strong chance of severe weather this weekend thanks to Tropical Storm Hanna. 

First, my dad called last night and told me to keep my eye on the weather. Then, I got an email from the College which warned of the storm they even attached a Hurricane Emergency Procedures list. And last, today I got a note from my apartment managers also warning us of the severe weather and giving some helpful tips (ie- if the power goes out don't call us call the power company). 

So now I'm a little nervous- I didn't have to worry about hurricanes or tropical storms when I lived in a land-locked state. Luckily (somewhat luckily), last weekend I was inspired to purchase a 72-hour kit online after hearing some of the news out of New Orleans and it arrived today. I also have a couple gallons of water and plan to buy another gallon and some more non-perishable foods before the storm hits. The kit is pretty fancy- I now own a "Hand-Pressing Flashlight" (no batteries needed), a survival whistle (with compass and lanyard), an emergency poncho, playing cards, a first aid kit, emergency rations, dust mask, water-proof matches, some fresh naps, and a FM radio, among other things. I ordered it off Amazon from Survival Kit Online. It's very handy dandy! Without actually using it, I would recommend everyone gets one- it can't hurt to have it- I feel better already.    

Rusty likes it too...


1 comment:

Jenel said...

Wow, I didn't even think about it slamming into you guys. Though I suppose its a possibility. I'm sure you'll be fine, but I'm glad you're prepped for it either way.