Saturday, May 3, 2008

Conference after conference

Thursday I presented at my 3rd conference of the year (and fourth ever). 

The first one I went to this year was the Art of Gender in Everyday Life Conference. The best part of going to a conference, besides all of the academic stimulation, is going to all of the exotic locations where the conferences are held. This conference was in the very exotic... Pocatello!

A week later I went to my next conference, the Southwestern Historical Association Conference in a slightly less exciting locale- Vegas. Of course I painted the town red- if you can do that from your hotel room while you're working on your thesis- I'm such a WILD girl!!

At my most recent conference I presented with my American West Center cohort on our digitization project at the Utah Library Association and Mountain West Library Association Conference. This actually was my best conference so far- turns out librarians show up to stuff! At the other conferences there were maybe 10 people in the room including the speakers, at this conference we presented to an audience of over 40! (And we were competing against the LDS Fiction Extravaganza). And better yet people actually seemed interested- it was great.

The day before the conference the Director Emeritus at the American West Center gave me some very wise conference advice...

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!"
     

No comments: