Sunday, June 22, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle, bicycle...

When I move I'll live within a few miles of school and with gas prices being what they are and the fact that my car has about a gazillion miles on it, I thought it might be wise to get a bike and ride to school. So I asked a friend Melanie for some advice on what kind of bike to get and she turned me on to Electras. Melanie has a bike she calls an old dutch treat which she talks about a lot on her blog the Church of the Granny Bike. Check out her blog, it's very entertaining.

Anyhow, I finally got my bike a couple days ago. Now I haven't ridden a bike since I was about 10 so I'm pretty rusty. I've taken short, very shaky, rides the last couple of mornings. While I'm still kind of a spaz it's been fun. I can see why Melanie likes it so much. And apparently it's kind of a feminist activity (so maybe it helps my feminist cred recover from the fact I haven't changed a flat tire). Susan B. Anthony once said that when she saw a woman ride by on a bike, she saw "the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood."  (I wasn't sure what untrammeled meant either so I looked it up- "not deprived of freedom of action or expression; not restricted or hampered.") You can see her whole quote here. (I found the quote thanks to Melanie's blog).

I may not look so good on a bike but at least the bike is super cute (and it has a bell!)


3 comments:

melanie said...

Cute! I love it and wish you many, many miles of bicycling bliss!

Jessica said...

You're bike certainly is cute, but... no gears? That would be rough for me.

Michaele said...

It has gears- 3!