Saturday, December 24, 2011

Have yourself a gendered little christmas...

Sometimes I wish my critical feminist eye had an off switch and I could just sit back and enjoy popular culture and take it at face value. Sadly it does not.

I remember working at Desert Star during the Christmas season and singing along with Eartha Kit's Santa Baby (the best version of the song btw). I still like the song but at the same time it niggles at me (I don't think I have ever actually used the word niggles before). Then today I heard a more recent version of the song- sung by Michael Buble and at first I liked that a man had chosen this particular Christmas song that seemed to exclude male singers but as I listened the song started to annoy me. The changes to the song are telling. As a christmas gift to you I will end here and simply share the songs with you instead of yammering on about them.



No comments: