Friday, July 9, 2010

Car Problems- Part 2

So a lot has happened since this post.

Previously on A Boy Named Sue.... I had tried to pick up my car but it didn't want to start so they sent me off in an HHR...

The next day they said they had figured out the problem- supposedly the gas in my tank was rancid. They drained the tank and filled it up, I picked it up (this was on Friday) and only had to pay for the gas they put in my tank. The car didn't start right away- which made me nervous- but it started on the second try, so off I went.

At three the next day I tried to run to the post office and the car wouldn't start. NIAHD started the next day and all I could think was "how am I going to get to work?" and I started to get more and more upset- car problems can be overwhelming and this seemed to be my tipping point. I knew the service department was closed so I called Enterprise to could get another rental- but they closed at noon, so I called the rental place the dealership used and they also closed at noon. Now I was getting really upset. I finally called the general manager at the dealership that had been working on my car and explained my problem to him. He sent a tow truck over and I hitched a ride back to the dealership with my car and they gave me a used car to drive for the weekend.

I talked to the service manager on Monday and he told me to hang on to the used car while they figured out what was wrong with my car. I didn't hear from them again until Thursday when they asked me to come switch the used car- an Equinox- for another rental- an Impala.

I've been in the Impala since then. Basically they wouldn't call me for days and then I'd call and they'd tell me they couldn't figure it out, etc. etc. I honestly didn't care that it was taking so long- I was enjoying driving a car that started on the first try every time.

Well- today I finally got my car back - they changed the PCM (or ECM? I don't know something like that or both) and the ignition switch. They have tested it repeatedly and the problem seems to be fixed. (I should mention that they didn't charge me for either of these things- since they charged my almost $700 to change the fuel pump which was apparently unnecessary).

Keep your fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Laura said...

That must have been a stressful week. I hope everything is fixed this time.

Leisa said...

I’m just going to give some pieces of information here. PCM is short for Power Control Module. Simply put, this is the brain of the car. Its function is to send signals to the different parts of the car to keep it running. Unfortunately, this part cannot be repaired, it can only be replaced. Geeky stuff aside, I’m just glad that this issue turned out well. I hope the car’s still fine today! :)

Leisa Dreps