Thursday, June 25, 2009

over exposure

So I've been thinking about blogging, and twitter and facebook, etc a lot lately (while not posting- as you may have noticed). I've seen and heard a couple news stories about about this topic as well. Recently, every time I think about blogging- something stops me.

I don't want to post anything about people I know because I am worried I might say something that would offend them and I feel like it is not appropriate to vent or complain about people in such a public forum (not that many people actually read this), I am also somewhat paranoid about safety. For example, one of the news stories I mentioned earlier was about a man who twitters and has about 2,000 followers. He and his wife took a vacation which he twittered about the whole time he was gone- announcing to 2,000+ people that his house would be empty and basically asking someone to burglarize it while they were gone.

I also worry about being a professional. I think there are certain lines you shouldn't cross and certain things you should publicize. So I also hesitate to say much either here or on facebook. I don't want to say much about the classes I take and the ones I teach because there is a possibility that students or professors might read this (this is also partially a safety thing). A couple of my former students are friends on facebook, as are a couple of the professors I've worked with, so I want to maintain a professional appearance.

Twitter and blogs also seem somewhat self-indulgent, or maybe self-involved is a better term. This is coming from someone who has a blog mind you, but I think twitter takes this further than a blog. I guess I just don't think anyone will care what I am doing from moment to moment- heck sometimes I even bore myself- why would you want me to bore you too? This isn't to say that I don't think blogs or twitters can be interesting and relevant- I read several blogs regularly- I just think blogs like mine- those intended to let my family and friends who live on the other side of the country know what I'm up to and what I'm thinking- would get really boring rather quickly if I twittered too. in sum, I don't have enough to say in a blog- why twitter?

So, if anyone is still reading this blog please weight in on this, I'd love to hear what other people think- where should we draw the line on the amount and type of information we unleash on the internet? And for my fellow grad students, and the rest of you with an opinion on this- do you think it is appropriate to be friends (both in real life and on facebook) with your students?

6 comments:

Emma Barry said...

For what it's worth, here's my take ...

I won't be Facebook friends with my students. Period. I don't think I'd object to having coffee with former students, but I can't imagine really be friends with my students. (Maybe because as grad students our authority is still tentative at best.)

I try not to blog about super-personal stuff. (I would never blog a pregnancy, for example.) I don't worry about writing about controversial issues, but I think that has more to do with my personality.

I have the privacy settings turned up on my blog so that it isn't indexed by search engines. The only way to find it is if I give someone the address.

I didn't blog when I worked in the Senate, and I plan to delete the blog before I go on the job market.

I also think I'll end up scrubbing my Facebook (removing all or most of the pictures, disabling all of the applications, etc.) at that point.

Wherever you come down on the issue, I'm sure it will be the right place for you.

I went through a concern about privacy about 18 months ago. I deleted my blog and didn't write for 8 months. But I really missed it. Maybe some of what I write on the blog is self-indulgent naval-gazing, but I also missed being able to reflect and analyze news and pop culture.

Jenel said...

I know we kinda talked about this a little before, but I think blogs are awesome...as long as you use them correctly, and you definitely do. Plus, I know my mom and grandma especially like seeing our pics and stuff so it's a good outlet for that.

melanie said...

I would avoid being friends with undergraduates purely on the basis that they are undergraduates.

I agree with Katie that being on the job market would definitely impact how or whether I use social networks.

I blog mainly to stay in touch with people I care about who are far away. Using statcounter, I've found that I seldom get hits beyond the 10 or so regulars. My blog is not google-able, not connected to an email address, and can only be accessed through the links of a handful of friends blogs and my facebook. Knowing who my readers are may be creepy for them but it gives me peace of mind that weirdos aren't reading my random missives about politics, muppets, and bikes.

As for twitter- I use it primarily so people can see new content when they come to my blog even when I'm not posting much. It came in super handy when I tweeted from my move this last time. I've also made some twitter friends, which I think is cool. But nothing too specific goes on there either.

Ultimately I think there's a big difference between semi-public blogging for friends and family and the celebrity tell-all blogging that you see on dooce or something.

J. Durden said...

My speech communications professor - who had a PhD - wound up marrying a woman who was one of his students. They have remained happily married for over a decade.

I'd say it's okay to be friends with former students.

Jessica said...

hmmm, very thought provoking.

about blogging: like you, i blog mostly to share my life with my far-away family. i have found that it has brought me closer to some extended family: cousins, and others who read and comment. also to friends who i otherwise have very limited communications with. (know anybody like that?) i moderate the comments, but other than that, i don't worry about the privacy. however, i also try to keep things kind of vague. i don't talk much about work, except in very general terms. i do like to share my inner musings when they come along, in addition to posting about my adventures. i generally try to keep one rule in mind: would i tell this to a friend while riding on the metro, and being overheard by everybody around me? if so, then it is definitely blog-worthy.

about being friends with former students: i think it's fine. the key is former. you definitely want to keep a professional relationship with current students. but former - the "we are both students" thing applies in my opinion. but since i've not been in your position, it is hard to have a strong opinion.

hope this helps. and hope you are well. got your postcard from DC today - thanks!

Alexandra said...

I let my students friend me on Facebook because I never post anything that I wouldn't mind them knowing about. I have a different pedagogy in the classroom and I usually tell the students that after the semester is over they can friend me on Facebook. I like having a good rapport with them and I certainly don't want to BE an undergraduate again, but I think it's important in terms of mentoring and often they share things with me like news or clippings or whatever. They don't know the depths of my personal life and as a result, I'm still an authority, but they're still comfortable with me. I feel like that makes them *want* to do well, too. They're adults and so long as it doesn't compromise my teaching, which it never has, I don't mind it.

I filter my family if anyone and I keep a private, locked blog that is only accessible to a few people.

In terms of the privacy issue, there's nothing on my Facebook that is obscene or ridiculous. Most of it is my work, photographs of me and my friends, etc. I've had this conversation with other folks (one friend used to look up people who applied for jobs on Facebook before they would interview them and another one's boss would make them do it and then interview the people "who looked fun." Always sound advise.)

I need to not type when I'm exhausted. That's my 2 cents... you and Katie are on a different page than I am with pedagogy and privacy, whereas I'm over with my friend Jason and with Ryan in terms of pedagogy (sans Facebook). I think that's what makes a great dynamic though and I like to hear what everyone else is up to and the advise.

x